Monday, June 9, 2008

Back from the trek....


Holy cow....talk about a great experience. We had the greatest time! Randy and I were fortunate to be a "ma and pa" to 7 other kids. Those of you who don't know what a trek is, basically you are acting as pioneers for 3 days. We dressed as the pioneers, put all of our belongings we took in handcarts, slept on the ground, no showers and pulled our handcarts about 18 miles. As we "trekked" we had many experiences along the way. Some pioneer stories were told, games were played and some spiritual experiences were shared. The highlight of the trip was the testimony meeting Saturday morning at 5 a.m. Everyone shared their testimonies and I was touched by so many. The youth of our ward are incredible and they are such good examples to me. I'm so glad I had the opportunity to go, it was a life changing experience for me that I will never forget. I can't believe what I learned about the pioneers. I came home with a greater love for the pioneers and what they went through.

p.s. thanks to my mom, sister and sister in law for watching my kids, we could of never gone and done this without ya!!


Recipe for the day.................I made these last night for dinner, they are so yummy. This comes from my grandma who is an incredible cook...

Company Carrots

1 lb. carrots 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1 1/2 cup finely crushed Ritz crackers 1/4 cup or more of grated cheese
1 cube butter or margarine salt and pepper to taste

Peel and slice carrots and cook them until tender. Melt butter and set aside. In a casserole dish place layer of carrots, salt and pepper, cheese and crushed crackers on top. Top the final layer with melted butter. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

5 comments:

joni said...

I am so glad you got to go on trek! It is a great experience for sure! Glad your kids were well taken care! Love all the recipes keep them coming! Have to say I am trying your no bake cookies for my party tonight!

Theresa Marie said...

Wow! What an experience!!! recipe ideas are fabulous! :)

Kris and Lindsay Olson said...

okay super blogger girl, you have to show me how you did your adorable header thing. I always want to but don't ever want to sit down long enough to figure it out! Sounds like you guys had an amazing time at the trek!

Jana said...

What a pioneer! You're awesome!

Celeste said...

Glad you had an awesome experience on the trek! Did you guys have to do the 'womens pull' (or something like that? They do that in our area and I heard it is amazing.

Celeste