Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Wellness Challenge!

Yesterday I started a wellness challenge with some friends and family. This seems to be the "new" thing going around. When I read the rules and requirements I actually thought this IS something I can do...and it's something I can do being pregnant! Maybe it will help me not gain 50lbs. Here are the rules.....

Each item is worth 1 point, with a possible 10 points per day
1 48 oz. of water
2 30 minutes of exercise (not necessarily consecutive)
3 2 servings of veggies, 2 servings of fruit
4 No soda, beer, wine, unhealthy snacks (ex: potato chips), or bad fast food (anything fried)
5 No sweets. (Desserts, pastries, sugary snacks & cereals) * ONE item with a Sugar-Free alternative is OK (as long as it doesn't conflict with #4 above)
6 No eating after dinner/9pm
7 15 min. of scripture reading (or spiritual text if you don't do scripture)
8 One journal entry (any length)
9 Express sincere appreciation, love or praise to a family member or close friend
10 Personal Goal

Let me explain the personal goal. Each week, you will come up with your own point/goal for the week. So, for the first week, my goal might be to read to my kids for 15 minutes every day, provide service, fix dinner each night that week. Or it could be going to bed before 9:30 every night…etc, etc.

Note: You have one free point, PER CATEGORY, PER WEEK. One free point for exercise, one free point for soda/fast food/unhealthy snacks, one free point for sweets, etc. You do not have 10 free points to use however you choose -they are NOT interchangeable and if you choose not to use a free point in a category, it is gone at weeks end. You could also just choose to have one "free" day where all points are free (which is less confusing), but we are allowing for flexibility and success!

The goal obviously is to get 10 points each day, every day. On your “free” day, you can automatically count 10 points. If you choose to have a free day on Saturday, then Sunday you eat dessert, then you would only get 9 points for Sunday. You can choose to have one free point every day if you choose to do it that way too. So if you go out for dinner on Wednesday and feel like having a soda, then you can use your free soda point.

Exceptions:-You are excused from the sweet rule on YOUR BIRTHDAY.-You are allowed three sick days where you are excused (only) from exercising and eating veg/fruit/water [if you can’t eat/drink] This is ONLY to be used if you are indeed sick.


Yesterday I did so GOOD....I was perfect. I ate a whole wheat bagel and cream cheese for breakfast, tuna sandwich loaded with spinach and 2 whole tomatoes on the side and for dinner we had spaghetti and a huge salad! It was awesome.....I ate fruit as my snacks and I wasn't even hungry. I walked a total of 6 miles yesterday and it felt so good. So far today I have had a bowl of grape nuts cereal and a Ham sandwich at subway LOADED with veggies and I got their sliced apples also! AWESOME! I'm hoping I can stick with this challenge so I will have more balance in my life and feel better. You all might see lots of posts on my blog in the next few weeks, I plan to use my blog and a small journal on my computer as my two forms of journal writing.

So here is to a healthy next 12 weeks....Please don't bring me cookies, cinnamon rolls or ice cream!

3 comments:

Bryce & Nicole said...

Good job! I'm doing something very similar. Mine is an 8 week challenge- little shorter than yours, but a little more strick, from what is sounds like. You can do it! It has really helped me already to say no to some things; in order to workout, eat healthy, do scripture study, journal writting and prayer- things that I already should of been doing but haven't been perfect at!

Trainer Momma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trainer Momma said...

Thanks for the great idea! That hasn't hit TX yet... It sounds very attainable and motivating to do with friends! GOOD LUCK!