Wednesday, October 7, 2009

saint george Marathon!


Randy ran the Saint George marathon last Saturday....Yes I said marathon and yes a marathon is 26.2 MILES! Why anyone would want to do something like that is beyond me, but he loved the challenge and worked so hard to achieve his goal! He had so many early morning runs and lots of sweaty runs, but it was all worth it in the long run!

Randy and I left the kids home with my sisters and mother in law and headed up Thursday night and stayed a night in Vegas before we made the trek to Saint George. We had gotten a hotel off priceline for $45 and we kinda assumed it would be a dump.....We stayed at the Golden Nugget hotel and let me tell you we have stayed in A MILLION hotels and this was the nicest hotel room we have EVER stayed in.....It was a two room suite, 2 -50 inch plasma screens on the wall, 2 bathrooms (one even had a TV in it!) Jacuzzi tub, kitchen, etc.....IT WAS AMAZING! I wish I would of taken pictures but I left my camera in the car that night. WE got up the next morning, had breakfast and headed towards Saint George. It's only about 2 hours from Vegas so it was a quick trip. When we got there Randy checked in at the race expo, we attended a mini workshop class about the marathon and then we went and drove the bike and run course for the Saint George Ironman next May.....Yes My husband is CRAZY...first he does a marathon, but who in their right mind would ever want to do an IRONMAN????? CRAZY! After that we headed to Outback for Randy to have his famous prerace meal of chicken and pasta. We then headed to our Hotel to check in. We stayed at the Travelodge....it was okay but after staying at the Golden Nugget the night before, this place was a DUMP!

Randy had to wake up at 3 the next morning to be at the race by 4 am. We ended up running into Denny's early in the morning so Randy could grab some pancakes for breakfast before his race. Nothing like getting Denny's takeout at 3 a.m.

The race started at 6:45 and Randy did awesome! He completed the marathon in 4 hours and 29 minutes! Amazing! I sat at the finish line for about 30 minutes waiting for Randy and I was so amazed watching these athletes. Everyone of them were amazing to watch cross the finish line. Some limped in, some couldn 't walk, some ran hand n hand with their spouse, etc.......Then there was the 9 year old kid that flew on in! CRAZY! It was quite emotional watching the whole thing.

I'm so proud of Randy and how hard he has worked...I remember the day 18 months ago that he struggled to run a mile......and now.....he has run a marathon! Good Job Babe and thanks for the inspiration to all of us! I LOVE YOU!

Start of the finish line




The front of his shirt says....."If You're Going TO BE DUMB....."
This is a saying his dad has said for years and that saying ended up being our team name when we ran the Ragnar Race last February.

All done...wearing his medal proudly around his neck!



2 comments:

Dan and Wendi Roberts said...

That is absolutely amazing! I thought about him all day that Saturday and wondered how it went. Tell him I'm so proud of him! What a great goal to have accomplished!! Great job Randy!!

The Scott's said...

Wow!! Way to be Randy!!